Manufacturing & Logistics
Questions Posed with Recommendations:
A- Ideas/Concerns/Opportunities specifically for your industry in relation to:
- Health and safety for employees
- Recommend setting of minimum safety standards municipally or provincially
- Adopt OESA (original equipment suppliers association) guidelines as a framework
- Educate the rest of industry and suppliers/customers of standards
- Standards required for sense of security.
- Essential Services
- Clearly define the criteria for essential services and limit businesses to those services only.
- Marketing of opportunities in Chatham Kent to economies that are struggling- e.g., Alberta, East coast
- Provision of high speed internet community wide
- Support/education to increase “work from home” capabilities and help business set up on line capabilities.
- Local infrastructure spending to include local industry buildings, land, parking, mechanical improvements- creates jobs locally and serves municipality long term
- Low or no interest loans for business equipment, improvements
- Start and maintain local benchmarking surveys to determine where help is needed.
- Refund employee tax payable to employer or pay employer EI benefit
- Lower electricity prices
- Re-assess education to provide local training and skills required to feed domestic manufacturing needs incorporating up to date technology.
- Incentivize domestic manufacturing in essential industries- Introduce duties, fund technology and infrastructure to develop infrastructure and domestic supply chains.
- Look beyond PPE (personal protective equipment) for essential business and manufacturing through various stress tests to determine what supplies are essential and require domestic sources.
- Continue wage supplement for next 6-9 months tiered to lower business volume and create a formula to give support to only those businesses that need it.
- Remove carbon tax burden by converting to HST style flow through
B- Ideas/Concerns/Opportunities for general business in relation to:
- Buy local -preference on local contractors and using benchmarking feedback (EMC- Excellence in Manufacturing Consortium, CTMA- Canadian Tooling Manufacturers Association may be able to provide?)
- Central website looking for services to support safety locally- best practices
- Central Website to support local service and product needs and those who can provide
- Central website to support service and product needs on provincial level
- Central website to provide access to services for job placement
- Central website to provide access to mental wellness services
C- Ideas/Concerns/Opportunities as individuals in relation to:
- Central website for those staying home who have ability to help others or work- remotely and those who are looking for volunteers or available service remotely
- Social distancing etiquette public education
- Wrap up CERB at 2000 per month creating disincentive to work -is hurting productivity
D- Ideas/Concerns/Opportunities as a municipality in relation to:
- Cash flow assistance VIA tax suspension or deferral, low or no interest loans
- Remove red tape to get this economy started
- Target PPE industries and other supply chain industries NOW such as food processing to attract manufacturing back here.
- Establish what can be produced here locally to support the COVID 19
E- Are there changes needed (bylaws, approvals, etc.) from the municipality to facilitate/enable action items in categories A through D.
- Remove red tape at all levels to fast track approvals for building and construction
- Create an industry sponsored and paid for review of municipal services on cost savings sharing basis to lower taxes and pay for tax deferrals
- Help with communication on buying local and who does what.
- Create a regional economic development group with representation from each municipality